Ever feel like a dollar sign instead of a name when visiting the spa for your massage? Do you wonder why you don't get to see the same massage therapist, or why you aren't allowed to request a specific therapist? What's with all the "enhancements" to the massage? Extra money to add on a scalp or foot massage - that's not included? And don't get me started on the "50 Minute" massage......
I have encountered all of these things on numerous occasions, and, at different places. I felt overwhelmed simply walking into the "spa stores" when I needed my own treatments - exactly like I was just a number on a computer screen, with no interest in why I was actually visiting. Filling out my intake form with this type of personal information was expected, of course. But then, I was handed a sheet full of "enhancements" that up-charged for everything from adding a scalp or foot massage, to fancier things like a foot scrub or aromatherapy. I just wanted a massage, not a multiple choice test!
"Don't forget to pick out your personal massage enhancements!" the receptionist would say happily. As if she was giving me a gift by up-charging on something that, I strongly feel, should be included in every service. I actually didn't realize I was paying full price for just 50 minutes of hands-on time until I was out in the waiting room again....
Honestly, it was frustrating. As a professionally trained & licensed massage therapist myself, I believe in working with as much of the body as possible (within the client's comfort level) in the time allotted to me. In my personal practice, that's what I do - and I give myself (at minimum) a full 60 minutes of hands-on time to do it.
So, when I decided to dive into a full-time practice, I wanted to make sure that I was able to give my clients my absolute best, without "enhancements", and without taking the personal connection out of the "personal wellness" industry. I wanted to create a cozy space, making people feel at home and comfortable with me. My space needed to convey something much more than a quick in-and-out massage service. And so, my first step was to find the most affordable office space that I could transform into what I wanted. It was a no-brainer to look at the spare bedroom in my home and see the potential! Some prospective clients were, and still are, hesitant to visit. After all, this is my home we are talking about.
As the hesitation and concerns started to roll in, I knew it was something I couldn't ignore. Wondering about such a personalized office space is a rather large speed bump on getting potential clients through the door. I have so many reasons that I love working from my home, so many ways it's made me a better therapist, and more able to truly serve the needs of my clients. So many ways that it helps me get to know my clients, and how they get to know me - as more than just their massage therapist. Here are my Top 5 reasons for loving my home-based massage practice:
1) Working from home allows me to provide fabulous, all-inclusive services, and keep my costs competitive. With minimal overhead, I can give my clients the full 60 minutes of hands-on time, as well as including hot stones in every treatment, adding in several minutes of both feet and scalp massage time, and hand-crafting my own blends of therapeutic-grade massage oils.
2) My kitchen is right upstairs. No lengthy lunch breaks to get in the way of my clients - I can grab a quick bite, wash up and be ready for my next appointment - no fuss, no muss.
3) My massage room is mine, alone, no sharing with other therapists. Which means, other than my clients, my energy is the only one in that room. It makes it so simple to keep things energetically clear so each of my clients can receive quality bodywork, along with true energetic release and relaxation.
4) No crazy waiting rooms with phones ringing, and people talking too loudly. It's quiet in my house, creating the perfect stress-relieving atmosphere. AND, I allow plenty of time between appointments so my clients can take their time - 30 minutes, to be exact. No rushing anyone out the door because I only have 10 minutes to get ready for the next appointment. So take your time as you leave, and keep that peaceful feeling much, much longer.
5) I keep everything separate. I have a lovely split level home with my massage room not only in a separate space, but on a completely separate floor - finished off with it's own private restroom. I have been able to create a relaxing, cozy space, exactly as I want it to look and feel. And it;s simple and easy to keep my massage space clean, sanitized, and energetically clear while allowing my family the freedom to relax elsewhere. Another side benefit? It's downstairs so I can keep things nice and cool, even when it's 90+ degrees outside!
Everything I have created in my home-based massage space is for the benefit of myself and my clients. I love the flexibility of working in my home, and how I can tailor every element of the client experience exactly the way I want it to be- from the colors, to the music, to the sheets and products I provide. I have the freedom to speak to each client in a quiet, one-on-one space and really get to know what they need each and every time they visit.
I love getting to know my clients on a more personal level and having them get to know me. They know that when they book, I will be the therapist that is providing their treatment - I know what happened last time, and what things in their lives maybe causing new areas of stress. For me, there is no better way to provide all of this than by welcoming my clients into my home.
If you are out there wondering why a massage therapist is working from home, I encourage you to go in for a visit and find out. I consider myself a savvy business person, blending my expenses to create the best value and focus my energy on what I do best - massage to help people heal. Feel free to visit me, anytime. Welcome to my home!
Mountain Serenity Massage & Wellness
East Centennial near Southlands Mall (Picadilly & Smoky Hill Rd)
5742 S Netherland St
Centennial, CO 80015
By Appointment Only
Closed Sunday & Monday
Tell Us how we did - leave a review of your own:
What Our Clients Are Saying
"I have been seeing Stacy for a couple years now. By far the best massage therapist whom I have had work on me. Her technique is second to none."
"Stacy is prompt, professional, and her space has good energy. She is the most skilled masseuse I have encountered. I come away from her sessions feeling renewed physically and recharged mentally. Highly recommend!"
"Extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I would highly recommend Stacy to anyone looking for a good massage therapist, especially regarding injuries. I look forward to seeing her again."
"I have had deep tissue massage from other massage therapists which always left me feeling very sore after. Stacy's technique is amazing when I get off the table I feel refreshed and relaxed, without pain. I always recommend her services."
"Stacy is AMAZING! I felt so comfortable with her. She knew exactly what I wanted with my massage. The massage room was extremely clean and relaxing. It was the best massage I have ever received. Can't wait to go back for my next one."
"Stacy's knowledge of everything related to the body, mind, spirit, and massage elements is second to none. I've had massages before where I felt like someone was going through the motions. Not Stacy! She's the real deal and I will only be going to her from now on!"
"Stacy was great in diagnosing problem areas and working on them until the muscles were loosened. She was also very thorough with questions before and after. This is one of the best massages I've ever had and I've had a lot. I would highly recommend getting a massage from her. I know I will be back."